Friday, March 14, 2014

Covering the Skeleton

I started covering the skeleton in snow fencing today. The roll of fencing was 48 inches wide and 50 feet long, so I ended up cutting it in half (25 feet each), and using half to cover the top of the whale, and half to cover the bottom. I'm going to need one more roll, which should be more than enough for the two sides.




I also took some cord, cut it to the diameter of the two biggest ribs, and tied from top to bottom on each of them, which will stop them from elongating. They're nice and circular again now!

The snow fencing was fortunately super easy to work with, as it was very pliable. I used zip ties to attach it to the skeleton - one on either side where it's touching the ribs, and one in the middle to secure it to the spine. When I put the side pieces on, I'll also attach those to the top and bottom pieces of fencing to keep everything secure. 

And, once the fencing is all in place, I'll pin pieces of fabric onto the skeleton that I'll then use as pattern pieces for my knitting. As I'm knitting, I'll shape the knit fabric to roughly match the pattern pieces, and then do the more precise shaping when I'm sewing them together.



No comments:

Post a Comment