Thursday, June 5, 2014

So, I Knit a Whale.

Well.

The exhibition is open, and the whale is done. Apologies for not posting for the past couple of weeks, but I was working on the whale day and night trying to get it finished in time for the opening of the exhibition!

Putting a few finishing touches on
So, the exhibition opened on Saturday with great success, and I'm thrilled to say that I've had nothing but great feedback on the whale so far. This project has taken over my life for the past several months in a very huge way, and I'm so proud of it now that it's finally done.



The whale, along with the rest of the artwork in the exhibition, will remain on display until June 14th. The exhibition is at the Anna Templeton Centre at 278 Duckworth St., and is open 12pm-6pm daily, and 12pm-8pm on Thursdays and Fridays. I'd encourage anyone in the St. John's area to stop by and check out what I've made, as well as the amazing work that my classmates have done. 

There are also several special events that take place throughout the course of the exhibition that are sure to be lots of fun:

Fashion Boutique and Cocktail Party: Thursday, June 5th 7-9pm
An evening to showcase the amazing one-of-a-kind garments featured in our graduate fashion show. Try them on, have a cocktail, and find a lovely new addition to your wardrobe!

Free School: Saturday, June 7th 2-4pm
Stop by and take part in a series of informal textile workshops for all levels of experience! Includes lessons in cable knitting, rug hooking, natural dyes, and more. Free and kid-friendly.

Secret Garden Secret Kitchen: Saturday, June 14th 1-4pm
"Join us for a special food celebration on closing day with tapas style plates and refreshing summer beverages to enjoy while you take this last chance to wander through the exhibition. $12"


I'd also like to point you in the direction of textile artist Judy Cooper's blog. Judy has featured the progress of my whale on her blog a couple of times throughout the process. She came to the exhibition opening on Saturday and took some photos of our work and wrote a lovely post about the show, which you can read here.


Check back within the next week or so for a post about the direction this blog will take now that the whale is done! In the meantime, I hope to see you at the exhibition... please get in touch if you'd like to go at a time when I will personally be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment