Monday, February 3, 2014

About the Woolly Whale


I'm a textiles student in St. John's, Newfoundland. The current semester of the program I'm doing is one of self-directed study, culminating in a final body of work that will be on display at my graduate exhibition and fashion show.

Minke Whale

One of my major areas of study this year has been knitting, and for one of my term projects, I've decided to knit a life-sized Minke Whale. I'll be using this blog to share the process I'm using to create the whale, with progress updates along the way.




Here's a quick rundown on some basic details of the project:
The whale will be 28 feet long, from nose to tail, and three-dimensional. The whale's circumference at it's widest point will be about 15 feet around. The knitting itself will be done mostly on a knitting machine, with a few bits here and there being hand-knit. I'll be using a 2-ply, medium weight yarn made from 100% Atlantic Canadian wool. I'll be hand-dying the wool myself using natural dyes. The whale's interior structure will be largely constructed from pex pipe, in a ribs and spine-type form. 



No comments:

Post a Comment