Friday, February 28, 2014

Skeleton Troubleshooting, and More!

I've spent the majority of this week focused on student-y things (midterms!), but here's some stuff that happened:

The day after I put up the whale skeleton, I arrived at school to find that half of it had fallen down overnight.


Oops. Oh, dear.
So, I put it all back together, reinforced the attachment points, and got it back up there. And everything seemed to be fine...

But over the next couple of days, the spine seemed to be sagging more and more at the parts in between the three attachment points.


So for now, the best option seems to be to just make a few extra attachment points along the spine in between the existing ones. The skeleton is going to be covered in snow fencing (orange plastic mesh-y stuff) before the knitting goes on it, so that should offer a bit more support to the structure as well and prevent the bigger ribs from elongating.


In whale wool news, I'm in the process of dyeing the dark grey portion of the wool... it's been in the mordant since yesterday morning, so I plan to actually get it into the dye tomorrow or the day after. The wool did actually all fit into the container I had, but without tons of space to move around, so I've just been giving it frequent stirs.

Aaaannd, the teapot is just about finished! Here I am, trying to get the lid knit on before my midterm critique:


No comments:

Post a Comment